What is Masayoshi Son’s net worth? Masayoshi Son net worth comes from Softbank.
Masayoshi Son is a Japanese billionaire technology entrepreneur, investor, and philanthropist. He was a 3rd generation “Zainichi Korean”, he naturalized as a Japanese citizen in 1990. He is the founder and chief executive officer (CEO) of the Japanese holding company SoftBank, CEO of SoftBank Mobile, and chairman of UK-based Arm Holdings.
Masayoshi Son Net Worth
US$ 30.3 billion
63 (born 11 August 1957)
|Country of Origin||
|Source of Wealth||
Early Life & Education
Masayoshi Son was born in Tosu, a city in the eastern part of Saga Prefecture on the island of Kyushu, Japan.
He left to study in the United States on the advice of Japanese McDonald’s Director Dean Fujita. At the age of 16, Son moved from Japan to California and finished high school in three weeks by taking required exams at Serramonte High School while staying with friends and family in South San Francisco. Sun attended the University of California, Berkeley, where he majored in engineering. Intrigued by a microchip featured in a magazine, Sun became confident at the age of 19 that computer technology would spark the next commercial revolution.
His first commercial endeavors began as a student. With the help of some professors, Son created an electronic translator that he sold to Sharp Corporation for $ 1.7 million. He made another $ 1.5 million by importing used video game machines from Japan, on credit, and installing them in dormitories and restaurants. Sun graduated from Berkeley with a BA. In the economy in 1980 and started Unison Corporation in Oakland, California, which Kyocera has bought since then.
Son was an early investor in internet firms, buying a share of Yahoo! in 1995 and investing a $20 million stake into Alibaba in 1999. Son’s holding company SoftBank owns 29.5% of Alibaba, which is worth around $108.7 billion as of 23 October 2018. In July 2016, SoftBank announced plans to acquire Arm Holdings for £23.4 billion ($31.4 billion) which would be the largest-ever purchase of a European technology company.
Masayoshi Son’s net worth in 2021 is $30.3 Billion.
Few Facts About Masayoshi Son
- During the mid-1990s, SoftBank became the number one satellite television provider in Japan and was also operating a stock brokerage firm.
- In 1995, Son took his company public and he became a billionaire
- Through SoftBank, Masayoshi Son bought big stakes in large companies, such as Japan’s Nippon Credit Bank, Alibaba, and E*Trade
- He is the second richest person in Japan
Top Masayoshi Son Quotes
- “Out of 88 companies, 15 could go bankrupt. That’s my assumption at this moment. 15 could fly away and still become successful. The remaining about 60 unicorns can do so and so.”
- “As for new investments, I’m thinking SoftBank Vision Fund 2, using our own money, we have been continuously making investments. Because the performance of SVF1 is not that great, we decided to not do the marketing for SVF2 to partners for a while.”
- “It took 25 years for the economy to recover after the great depression. This time again I believe our economy is going to suffer for quite a long time in a negative way. The future is very uncertain.”
- “We will take a very cautious approach in managing our investments. So there is a chance of further downside risk, which is something that we always keep in mind while for safe driving. So that is why SoftBank Group contributes its own money and borrowings.”
- “We also try to have 4.4 trillion yen of cash or cash equivalents in hand. So that’s why we are working on selling or monetizing our assets. We will keep a close watch on how things go.”
- “The investment we have made may lose some of its value. But from a cash flow perspective, in principle, we will not provide cash to those fragile companies for rescue.”
- “If you are so pessimistic, then why don’t you consider the value of the Vision Fund as zero. Then there is no downside.”