Solána Imani Rowe known professionally as SZA is an American singer and songwriter. In October 2012, SZA self-released her debut EP, See.SZA.Run, which she then followed up with her second EP, S, in April 2013. In July 2013, she signed with the hip hop record label Top Dawg Entertainment, through which she released Z, her third EP, and first retail release, in April 2014. In March 2020, it was reported by Billboard that SZA had signed with WME for representation in all areas. These SZA quotes will motivate you in life.
Best SZA Quotes
- I don’t have any control over what actually happens except for that I have full control over my will for myself, my intention, and why I’m there. That’s all that matters.
- Wearing a hijab never made me feel any more conservative – it made me feel safe. Then, after 9/11, I became the butt of a joke on the playground, so I stopped wearing it. Kids can be really cruel when you’re the only black girl in your Girl Scout troop.
- It starts with trusting yourself, even if people are telling you you’re too young to trust yourself.
- Control is not real, and I’m really understanding that every day. It’s about the acceptance of relinquishing control that makes it powerful for you.
I want to excel at something, to follow through, to not be afraid.
- As long as you’re being honest and there’s the intention in what you’re doing, then I think that energy permeates your field and becomes like a homing signal for other people with like energies.
- I’m a Scorpio with a Pisces moon. I am very critical of myself. I’m actually way less critical of others than I am of myself. I’m in my own head a lot. It’s hard and really discouraging.
- I don’t want to speak negativity into existence.
- I feel like when you say ‘activist,’ you have to have so much clarity, and I don’t always necessarily have so much clarity on how I want to help others, I just have this weird, deep urge to help other people. I’m trying to let God guide my body and use it as whatever kind of vehicle or vessel it needs to be.
You can take care of your body, and it will low-key show you respect in turn.
- I was born in St. Louis, but I’m from Maplewood, New Jersey. Maplewood is completely different than the rest of New Jersey. It’s very small. It’s quietly affluent but more low-key. Lauryn Hill is from my town, though.
- I drink a lot of water.
- I have an abundant amount of love in my life, and I’m grateful for that. SZA quotes on life & love
- I was raised orthodox Muslim. Very sheltered, very conservative.
- I wasn’t popular in high school; I had no friends.
- I learned everything the hard way – like, literally, everything. I know that God does that to people that he has lessons for. I just wish that I had learned less extreme lessons.
- Don’t get discouraged with your skin when it doesn’t do what you want it to do… Give it some time. That’s the only way to get to know yourself.
- I don’t feel ashamed to be loud, which is an argument I’ve had with lots of men, who thought I was too sassy and unladylike.
I feel like every outfit I have ever planned ahead is trash.
- In the real world, I kind of, like, thrived a little bit. The things that were awkward about me at school, like being hyper passionate… I realized, ‘Oh I’m my own person, and I have my own idiosyncrasies and nuances that I don’t mind.’
- How many thick black women are there singing whatever I’m singing, surrounded by rappers, but also from the suburbs? I can’t really judge someone else for judging me!
- I use Ecoco EcoStyler gel, but the alcohol-free protein one. That’s the key.
- I love food, so having a lot of food allergies now and just having a really sensitive body, it forces me to be very mindful and conscious and eat when I’m hungry, not just when I’m bored, and just really slow down. Everything in moderation. , SZA quotes on food
- On Halloween, because we don’t celebrate it, my dad would drive me somewhere, anywhere different. Like Little Italy in New York to walk around and teach me all about the food and culture.
- Every day I grapple between ‘I’m going to get married’ and ‘I’m going to spend the rest of my life alone with a poodle.’
- We’re changing little girls’ lives across the world, and we didn’t even know what we were doing when we started.
- When you’re, like, 190 pounds, dark-skinned, and a new artist that no one really cares about, people don’t really take the time to make you look beautiful.
I make bad decisions frequently. They’re fun.
- I don’t think I’m inherently feminist. I think the universe wants me to be feminist, and I think I resonate with that. I think it just chose me to be this female energy… thing. And I’m very drawn to female energy, but I don’t really have any prerequisites in feminism. I just roll with it.
- I’ve been known to wear pajamas onstage for the sole reason of wanting to make sure I’m free enough to execute new things vocally onstage and give my best performance possible.
- My mom didn’t let me eat sugar or candy until I was older.
- I went through this phase of Spandex, high heels, and fur coats when I was my late teens and early twenties; before then, I lived in overalls and baggy T-shirts.
- I definitely get inspiration from the ‘gram. I mean, Instagram is Google, essentially. I love looking at pictures of beautiful women.
- I’ve always loved playing with hair. I used to want dreads like Lauryn Hill, but my mom wouldn’t let me.
I try to think of myself as a chic fishing grandpa aesthetically.
- I just think I have too much anxiety to listen to music. Sometimes it feels like noise, and sometimes it’s so affecting that I can’t recover from it.
- In one way, I want to heal people.
- My anxiety stems from my lack of control no matter what.
- I was a funky kid.
- It’s so hard for me to focus on things for a long time that I’m not incredibly passionate about.
- My mom was an executive at AT&T, a global account lady. I have no idea what she did. I just know she was never home and speaks several languages.
- I have a really strong gluten allergy, and I’m pretty lactose-intolerant, like, in a big way, but I love cheese.
- When your parents regulate everything you hear and everything you intake, it forces you to get creative in other ways. It sparked the writing bug and the very overactive imagination. Because I’ve had a lot of time by myself and a lot of time isolated from regular culture, I created my own.
I did some work on Beyonce and Nick Minaj’s ‘Feeling Myself.’
- Sugar makes me feel crazy – like, makes my body hurt kind of a thing. I don’t really eat fruit because it has a lot of sugar. I try not to eat a lot of red meat, but every now and again, I feel like I need iron or something – something that I’m missing.
- There’s something different about growing up black and Muslim, especially in New Jersey. It’s like when I left the mosque and I left my dad, I felt unprotected, but I also felt a weird sense of pride, like I was involved in this other way of living that was cool to me.
- Listening to Alabama Shakes made me less self-conscious about my voice.
- I don’t enjoy being interviewed. I feel like it exhausts a lot of my energy. I feel empty after.
- I love classical jazz.
- I love empowering women. I think it’s crazy: if you ever try to belittle women, you’re playing yourself – I ride with whoever rides with me.
- I don’t have a background in music… and I have a short attention span. If you put me in the studio every day, I’m gonna get lost.
I do a lot of strange things.
- People grapple with labeling me as hip-hop, R&B, or pop, and it’s interesting to me. I’m just making music. People grapple with labeling me as hip-hop, R&B, or pop, and it’s interesting to me. I’m just making music. , SZA quotes on music
- I was a gymnast for 13 years, so I was heavy into sports.
- I used to be offended when people would compare me to Erykah Badu. Because I’m black, thick, and have large lips? There’s nothing similar about us whatsoever, and I felt very disrespected by the fact that people needed to pigeonhole me. I wasn’t even raised on Erykah Badu!
- I just make music however I feel and pray that it connects, and if it does, I’m super thankful. I think genres are more for other people, not for yourself.
- I used to be very revenge-motivated, but that’s just because I’m a Scorpio. Now I’m more so, like, practice honesty just because it makes you feel better.
- I always used to be like, ‘I don’t need to meditate.’ And it’s not true.
I think music is honest and will make you do honest things.
- I’m a visual learner, so the film is a huge inspiration to me.
- I think we all do: I think we wonder if we’re supposed to be here if we’re doing the right thing if we even want to be here. At least, I do all the time.
- My parents are really conservative. My dad is Muslim, and my mom is the most conservative woman you’ve ever met. They’re very aristocratic in the most quaint suburban way.
- I love folk. I love rap.
- My music is touching people in whatever spaces they need to be touched in.
- I don’t have a primary doctor, a primary hairstylist, a primary anything. I don’t even have a primary address! Everything is just whenever I can find one.