Cesare Pavese was an Italian poet, novelist, literary critic, and translator. He is widely considered among the major authors of the 20th century in his home country. These Cesare Pavese quotes will inspire you.
Best Cesare Pavese Quotes
- “Every luxury must be paid for, and everything is a luxury, starting with being in this world.” ―
- “The great lovers will always be unhappy because for them love is great and so they ask of their beloved the same intensity of thought that they have for her – otherwise they feel betrayed.” ―
- “No woman marries for money; they are all clever enough, before marrying a millionaire, to fall in love with him first.” ―
- “The words that strike us are those that awake an echo in a zone we have already made our own—the place where we live—and the vibration enables us to find fresh starting points within ourselves.” ―
- “The whole problem of life is this: how to break out of one’s own solitude, how to communicate with others.” ―
- “One does not kill oneself for love of a woman, but because love—any love—reveals us in our nakedness, our misery, our vulnerability, our nothingness.” ―
- “Perfect behavior is born of complete indifference. Perhaps this is why we always love madly someone who treats us with indifference.” ―
- “From someone who doesn’t want to share your destiny, you should neither accept a cigarette” ―
- “Traveling is a brutality. It forces you to trust strangers and to lose sight of all that familiar comfort of home and friends.
You are constantly off balance. Nothing is yours except the essential things: air, sleep, dreams, sea, the sky – all things tending towards the eternal or what we imagine of it.” ―
- “The only joy in the world is to begin.” ―
- “We do not remember days, we remember moments.” ―