Hellboy, an American comic strip superhero created by writer and artist Mike Mignola. The character first appeared in San Diego Comic-Con Comics no. 2 (August 1993), published by Dark Horse Comics. These Hellboy quotes are for fun and will inspire you in life.
Best Hellboy Quotes
- “Liz Sherman: Red, white, whatever. Guys are all the same.”
- “Abe Sapien: Remind me why I do this again.
Hellboy: Rotten eggs and the safety of mankind
Abe Sapien: Ah.”
- “Hellboy: Didn’t I kill you already?”
- “Abe Sapien: Touched you five seconds, laid three eggs.
Hellboy: Didn’t even buy me a drink.”
- “Agent John Myers: What makes a man a man? A friend of mine once wondered. Is it his origins? The way he comes to life? I don’t think so. It’s the choices he makes. Not how he starts things, but how he decides to end them.”
- “Prof. Trevor “Broom” Bruttenholm: In medieval stories, there is often a young knight who is inexperienced, but pure of heart.
Agent John Myers: Oh, come on. I am not pure of heart.
Abe Sapien: Yes, you are.”
“Agent John Myers: Hellboy. He’s real!”
- “Agent John Myers: Miss Sherman? Can I call you Liz? It’s a beautiful name.
Liz Sherman: 60 percent of the women in the world are named Liz.
Agent John Myers: Well, it’s impressive by my standards. My name’s John. John T. Myers. Dr. Bruttenholm asked me to invite you back to the Bureau.”
- “Prof. Trevor “Broom” Bruttenholm: What is it that makes a man a man? Is it his origins — the way things start? Or is it something else, something harder to describe?”
- “Von Krupt: Five years of research and construction, Grigori, five years! The Fuhrer does not look kindly on failure!
Grigori Rasputin: There will be no failure, General. I promised Herr Hitler a miracle. I’ll deliver one.”
- “Prof. Trevor “Broom” Bruttenholm: In the absence of light, darkness prevails. There are things that go bump in the night, Agent Myers. Make no mistake about that. And we are the ones who bump back.”
- “Hellboy: [referring to the Hellboy comics in John’s hands] I hate those comic books. They never get the eyes right.”
“Hellboy: Red means stop!”
- “Hellboy: I’m gonna be sore in the morning…”
- “Don’t mess with me, lady. I’ve been drinking with skeletons.”
- “Lady, I was gonna cut you some slack, ’cause you’re a major mythological figure…but now you’ve just gone nuts!”
- “But if there must be an end, let it be loud. Let it be bloody. Better to burn than to wither away in the dark.”
- “With a rasping cough, the vampire shakes its head. “It was you who called us. All of you, with your war. The roar of your cannons shook us from our quiet graves…”
- “Okay, I know I said I wasn’t going to shake things up, but we’re going to have to get some pants on this one.”
- “I’d be the first to admit that I have no shortage of faults.
But if I had to pick one, the one that’s gotten me into the most trouble over the years…
…it would be that I sometimes get angry.”
“Hellboy: “I’m fireproof. You’re not.”
- “Since the beginning of the world, a prayer is a prayer and a curse is a curse– no matter the people– no matter the language– Man has given a thousand different namesto his god, but look into the face of each one– long enough– hard enough– You will find one truth.”
- “This is a grave. There is no honor here in broken tools and old bones, only in the deeds of our children.”
- “Well, yeah, you listen to a talking snake and there’s gonna be trouble.”
- “I hate those comic books. They never get the eyes right.” , Hellboy quotes on comic
- “(to Sammael) Listen, Sammy, I’m not a very good shot, but the Samaritan here uses really big bullets. So what do you say we work this out in a nice,
peaceful…? (Sammael runs off) Oh, crap.”
“Waiting for me, chunk-face?”
- “(breaking Sammael’s lower jaw) OPEN WIDE!”
- “Didn’t I kill you already? You goddamned monster!”
- “(Grabs Sammael by the tongue) Second date, no tongues!” , Hellboy quotes on dating
- “(About Liz’s new nickname) “Sparky”? Who came up with that? Myers?”
- “(Watching Meyers and Liz) No cream and milk, moron. She takes it black. Told ya! Wait, she took his picture! DAMN!”
- “It’s not– It’s not what you think. Plus, you’re nine. You’re too young to be giving me advice.”
“Hey, Myers, you’re a talker. What’s a good word, a solid word for “need”?”
- “(to Kroenen) You killed my father! Your ass is mine!”
- “Nazi General: Five years of construction and research, Grigori. Five years! The Führer doesn’t look kindly on failure!
Grigori Rasputin: There will be no failure, General. I promised Herr Hitler a miracle. I’ll deliver one! What I do tonight, can never be undone! I will open a portal, and awaken the Ogdru Jahad – the Seven Gods of Chaos! Our enemies shall be destroyed, and from the ashes…a new Eden will arise.”
- “Abe Sapien: Behind this door — a dark entity, evil, ancient, and hungry.
Hellboy: Oh, well. Let me go in and say “Hi”.”
- “John Myers: (About Sammael) What the hell is that thing?!
Hellboy: Aw, crap! (Peels off a tentacle latched to his arm) Let me go ask.”
- “Hellboy [being hit on the head with a fire extinguisher]: Hey! I’m on your side!
Train conductor: Sure! [hits him on the head again]”
“You don’t have a choice of who will be your parents. You do have a choice of the leaders you follow. Choose wisely.”
- “Professor Broom: In medieval stories, there is often a young knight who is inexperienced, but pure of heart.
John Myers: Oh, come on. I am not pure of heart.
Abe Sapien: (who’s psychic) Yes, you are.
Professor Broom: Rasputin is back for him. What I’m asking of you is to have the courage to stand by him when I am gone. He was born a demon; we can’t change that. But you will help him, in essence, to become a man.”
- “John Myers: Miss Sherman? Can I call you Liz? It’s a beautiful name.
Liz Sherman: 60 percent of the women in the world are named Liz.
John Myers: Well, it’s impressive by my standards. My name’s John. John T. Myers. Dr. Broom asked me to invite you back to the Bureau.”
- “Hellboy: This is Ivan Klimatovich. Say hi, Ivan.
Ivan Klimatovich: (In Russian) Go that way, Red Monkey!”
“What makes a man a man? It’s the choices he makes. Not how he starts things but how he finishes them.”
- “Liz Sherman: In the dark I heard your voice, what did you say?
Hellboy: I said, “Hey, you on the other side – let her go. Because for her I will cross over, and then you’ll be sorry.”
- “Hellboy: (Carrying the torso of the re-animated corpse over his shoulder) How you doing back there, Ivan?
Ivan Klimatovich: (In Russian) If I still had legs, I’d kick your ass!
Hellboy: (To fellow agent) Could you hold this guy for a while? He is so negative.”
- “Professor Broom: (Opening Narration) What is it that makes a man a man? Is it his origins, the way things start. Or is it something else, something harder to describe? For me it all began in 1944, classified mission off the coast of Scotland. The Nazis were desperate. Combining science and black magic they intended to upset the balance of the war. I was 28, already a paranormal advisor to President Roosevelt. I could never have suspected that what would transpire that night would not only effect the course of history but change my life forever.”
“Hellboy is the first movie where both ends of the spectrum are combined”
- “Watching Hellboy, you learn Professor Bruttenholm is no different than his father. Professor Bruttenholm’s father was just as harsh as he was. As Hellboy so eloquently put it, “Like father, like son.”
- “We know many children turn out just like their parents. A lot of our traits come from the nurturing we receive growing up. Did you know we also get our leadership traits in a similar way?”
- “The leaders you follow will influence the way you lead. You find a kind and gentle leader, you will lead in the same way. You find a leader who is an egomaniac… There’s a good chance you’ll become an egotistical leader.” , Hellboy quotes on leaders
- “What makes a man a man?” a friend of mine once wondered. Is it his origins? The way he comes to life? I don’t think so. It’s the choices he makes. Not how he starts things, but how he decides to end them.”
“Hellboy: I’m gonna be sore in the mornin’!”
- “They’re getting more and more experience on what to expect, and the Hellboy audience is such a faithful and fanatic audience as I am, and you have to really be very open about what you do”
- “Salt, gathered from the tears of a thousand angels, restraining the essence of Sammael, the Hellhound. The Seed of Destruction. This I can promise, Sammael, for every one of you that falls, two shall arise.”
- “I’m a lifelong movie addict, and one of my favorite projects is making replica props and costumes. Nearly every one of these – from R2D2 to Hellboy’s revolver – ends with the paint job. And it’s not just cosmetic. The paint literally tells a story: what this thing is made of, where it’s been, what it’s ”
- “Hellboy?” “What?” “Touch me. Make me forget all this.” He was on her in an instant, took her down to the floor before she could blink.”
- “I always thought what if you took a myth of childhood like the tooth fairy and made it a central scary thing. We did it on Hellboy and we did it on ‘Don’t be afraid of the dark’.”
“Hellboy: Didn’t I kill you already?”
- “Hellboy: (carrying the torso of a re-animated corpse over his shoulder) How you doing back there, Ivan?
Ivan Klimatovich: (in Russian) If I still had legs, I’d kick your ass!
Hellboy: (to agent) Could you hold this guy for a while? He is so negative.
- “Hellboy: I wish I could do something about this. But I can’t. But I can promise you two things. One: I’ll always look this good.
Hellboy: Two: I’ll never give up on you… ever.
Liz Sherman: I like that.
- “[Hellboy breaks through a wall and sees Liz has returned to the B.P.R.D. with John]
Liz Sherman: Some things never change.
[Liz walks away, leaving John]
Hellboy: You did it buddy! You DID IT!
[John walks away, leaving Hellboy]
Hellboy: Myers? Pop?”
“Lady Hatton: They warned us that something was coming.”
- “[in a large cemetery, searching for Rasputin’s mausoleum]
Tom Manning: Where are you going?
Hellboy: To ask for directions.
[opens an amulet]
Hellboy: Come on, find me a talker…”
- “Lady Hatton: On an island off the coast of Scotland, something was summoned from the depths of hell. Something that would end mankind.
Hellboy: And this, uh, thing, you worried about, did it show up?”
Lady Hatton: Oh, yes, you did.
- “Professor Bruttenholm: [to Hellboy] If there is ever an end in this forever war, it will be because of you and your strong right hand.”
- “[as Hellboy gets out of the truck a policeman shoots at him]
Hellboy: Hey, I’m on your side!
Policeman: Sorry! My bad.”
“Professor Bruttenholm: We’re the line in the sand. We fight against the forces of darkness.”
- “[as they stop outside a fish and chips shop]
Hellboy: This is it?
Ben Daimio: Were you expecting a sign that says, “Secret Headquarters?”
- “[as they enter the fish and chip shop]
Woman: Oy, I need some ID, love?
Hellboy: Um, are you serious?”
- “Hellboy: You made me a damn weapon.
Professor Bruttenholm: I just wanted to help you become the best you.”
- “Hellboy: We faced every threat there is, and yet you take me in. You made me a goddamn weapon.”
“Ben Daiio: Where’s my fucking violin?”
- “[as he picks up a gun]
Hellboy: Some dads get their kids Legos.”
- “Agent John Myers: We like people for their qualities but love them by their defects.”
- “Alice Monaghan: Haven’t we got to be saving the world or something?”
- “[referring to his oversized arm made of stone]
Man: Does it do anything special?
Hellboy: Yeah. It smashes things real good.”
- “Professor Bruttenholm: Listen up, ladies and gentlemen, out there, there’s a fifth-century sorceress who wants to bring down the curtain on London and the world!
Hellboy: Great, homework.”
“Professor Bruttenholm: [to Hellboy] You are mankind’s best and only hope.”
- “[to Bruttenholm; referring to Hellboy]
Ben Daimio: I thought we were supposed to be fighting monsters, not working with them.
Hellboy: Who you calling a monster, pal? You look in the mirror recently?”
- “Hellboy: Sorry, did I interrupt?
Nimue The Blood Queen: On the contrary, you’ve arrived just in time.”
- “Nimue the Blood Queen: [to Hellboy] Why do you fight for those who hate and fear you? You are meant for this.”
- “Nimue the Blood Queen: Out of the ashes, a new Eden will emerge.
Hellboy: Okay, I’d appreciate a prophecy with more relatable stakes. ”
- “Hellboy: Yeah. Okay, come on. Let’s get your game face on.
[he punches Ben and snarls at him]
Hellboy: Yeah, come on. Let’s do this. ”
- “Nimue the Blood Queen: Be my king. We belong together, you and I.
Hellboy: We do, but it’s not going to work, you know, because I’m a Capricorn and you’re fucking nuts!”