Francis of Assisi, born Giovanni di Pietro di Bernardone, informally named as Francesco, was an Italian Catholic friar, deacon, and preacher. He founded the men’s Order of Friars Minor, the women’s Order of Saint Clare, the Third Order of Saint Francis, and the Custody of the Holy Land. These Francis of Assisi Quotes will motivate you.
Best Francis of Assisi Quotes
- “Start by doing what’s necessary; then do what’s possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.” ~ Francis of Assisi
- “Remember that when you leave this earth, you can take with you nothing that you have received – only what you have given: a full heart, enriched by honest service, love, sacrifice, and courage.” ~ Francis of Assisi
- “Do all you can to preach the gospel and if necessary use words!” ~ Francis of Assisi
- “Lord, help me to live this day, quietly, easily. To lean upon Thy great strength, trustfully, restfully. To wait for the unfolding of Thy will, patiently, serenely. To meet others, peacefully, joyously. To face tomorrow, confidently, courageously.” ~ Francis of Assisi
- “Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love,
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
And where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master,
Grant that I may not so much seek
To be consoled as to console,
To be understood as to understand,
To be loved, as to love.” ~ Francis of Assisi
“God requires that we assist the animals, when they need our help. Each being (human or creature) has the same right of protection.” ~ Francis of Assisi
- “Ask the beasts and they will teach you the beauty of this earth.” ~ Francis of Assisi
- “The deeds you do may be the only sermon some persons will hear today.” ~ Francis of Assisi
- “All things of creation are children of the Father and thus brothers of man. … God wants us to help animals, if they need help. Every creature in distress has the same right to be protected.” ~ Francis of Assisi
- “All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle.” ~ Francis of Assisi
- “What is it that stands higher than words? Action. What is it that stands higher than action? Silence.” ~ Francis of Assisi
- “If you have men who will exclude any of God’s creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men.” ~ Francis of Assisi
“The only thing ever achieved in life without effort is failure.” ~ Francis of Assisi
- “What do you have to fear? Nothing. Whom do you have to fear? No one. Why? Because whoever has joined forces with God obtains three great privileges: omnipotence without power, intoxication without wine, and life without death.” ~ Francis of Assisi
- “Do few things but do them well, simple joys are holy.” ~ Francis of Assisi
- “He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist” ~ Francis of Assisi
- “Where there is Love and Wisdom, there is neither Fear nor Ignorance.
Where there is Patience and Humility, there is neither Anger nor Annoyance.
Where there is Poverty and Joy, there is neither Cupidity nor Avarice.
Where there is Peace and Contemplation, there is neither Care nor Restlessness.
Where there is the Fear of God to guard the dwelling, there no enemy can enter.
Where there is Mercy and Prudence, there is neither Excess nor Harshness.” ~ Francis of Assisi
- “God could not have chosen anyone less qualified, or more of a sinner, than myself. And so, for this wonderful work, He intends to perform through us, He selected me- for God always chooses the weak and the absurd, and those who count for nothing.” ~ Francis of Assisi
- “Not to hurt our humble brethren is our first duty to them, but to stop there is not enough. We have a higher mission – to be of service to them whenever they require it.” ~ Francis of Assisi
“The journey is essential to the dream.” ~ Francis of Assisi
- “By the anxieties and worries of this life, Satan tries to dull man’s heart and make a dwelling for himself there.” ~ Francis of Assisi
- “O divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand; to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is in pardoning that we are pardoned, and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.” ~ Francis of Assisi
- “Where there is discord may we bring harmony. Where there is error, may we bring truth. Where there is doubt, may we bring faith. Where there is despair, may we bring hope.” ~ Francis of Assisi
“Be patient, because the weaknesses of the body are given to us in this world by God for the salvation of the soul. So they are of great merit when they are borne patiently.” ~ Francis of Assisi
- “A single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows.” ~ Francis of Assisi
- “It was easy to love God in all that was beautiful. The lessons of deeper knowledge, though, instructed me to embrace God in all things.” ~ Francis of Assisi
- “Blessed is the servant who loves his brother as much when he is sick and useless as when he is well and an be of service to him. And blessed is he who loves his brother as well when he is afar off as when he is by his side, and who would say nothing behind his back he might not, in love, say before his face.” ~ Francis of Assisi
- “It would be considered a theft on our part if we didn’t give to someone in greater need than we are.” ~ Francis of Assisi Quotes
- “While you are proclaiming peace with your lips, be careful to have it even more fully in your heart.” ~ Francis of Assisi
- “When I think of the happiness that is in store for me, every sorrow, every pain becomes dear to me.” ~ Francis of Assisi
“Spiritual joy arises from purity of the heart and perseverance in prayer.” ~ Francis of Assisi
- “I have been all things unholy. If God can work through me, he can work through anyone.” ~ Francis of Assisi
- “You cannot all abandon your possessions, but at least you can change your attitude about them. All getting separates you from others; all giving unites to others.” ~ Francis of Assisi
- “Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace. Where there is hatred, let me sow love.” ~ Francis of Assisi
- “Be patient in trials, watchful in prayer, and never cease working.” ~ Francis of Assisi