What is Amancio Ortega’s net worth? Amancio Ortega net worth comes from Inditex.
Amancio Ortega-Gaona is a Spanish billionaire businessman. He is the founder and former president of Inditex Fashion Group, which is best known for the clothing and accessories chain Zara. For a brief period of time in 2015, he was the richest man in the world, surpassing Bill Gates when his net worth peaked at $ 80 billion as Zara’s parent company, Inditex’s, peaked. He is the head of the Ortega family and the second richest retailer in the world.
Amancio Ortega Net Worth
US$ 83.1 billion
85 (born 28 March 1936)
|Country of Origin||
|Source of Wealth||
Early Life & Education
Amancio Ortega, the youngest of four children, was born in Posduongo de Arbas, Lyon, Spain, to his father, Antonio Ortega Rodriguez and Josefa Gaña Hernandez of Valladolid, and spent his childhood in Tolosa, Gipuzcoa. He left school and moved to A Coruña at the age of 14, due to his father’s work, a railroad worker. Soon after, he finds a job in a shop for a local shirtmaker named Gala, who is still located in the same corner in downtown A Coruña and learns to make clothes by hand.
In 1972, he founded Confecciones Goa, a company that sells quilted bathrobes. In 1975, he opened Zara’s first store with his wife Rosalía Mera. In 2009, Zara was part of the Inditex group of which Ortega owns 59.29%, apart from more than 6000 stores including brands Zara, Massimo Dutti, Oysho, Zara Home, Kiddy’s Class, Tempe, Stradivarius, Pull and Bear, and Bershka and has more than 92,000 employees.
Amancio Ortega’s net worth in 2021 is $83.1 Billion.
Ortega is very private about his personal life, as of 2012, he only gave three interviews to journalists. Until 1999, no photograph of Ortega was ever published. He simply likes to dress up, refuses to wear a tie, and usually prefers a simple blue jacket, white shirt, and gray pants, none of which are Zara products. As of 2017, despite having a huge real estate portfolio, he mostly lives with his wife in his apartment in A Coruña, Spain.
Few Facts About Amancio Ortega
- His retail titan was almost named something else[ Zorba ]
- He was once the wealthiest man in the world
- He left the school at the age of 14 and went to work for a shirt maker
- He didn’t start his 1st business until he was 37.
- Ortega hardly spends any money on advertising his brands
- Zara’s store position is very deliberate and calculated
Top Amancio Ortega Quotes
- “Die of success? Give me a break! We’ve only just started!”
- “The customer has always driven the business model…”
- “I am the property of my business, not the reverse…”
- “Our formats have opened 439 new stores during the year in which the landmark number of 3,000 stores has been exceeded; with this respect, it must be pointed out that the opening of the store number 2,000 took place merely two years ago and only six years have elapsed since the opening of our store number 1,000.”
- “Zara will remain the largest and most international brand.”
- “Companies are comprised of human beings without the effort, professionalism, and motivation of whom, no achievement could be made.”
- “One thing hasn’t changed – the innovative spirit and urges for improvement that was the driving force back then.”
- “Attempt to seduce the customer with the latest fashion, the finest design, and the most attentive service.”
- “Innovation and commitment towards our customers define our corporate culture.”
- “The motivation of almost 90,000 individuals working towards a single objective.”
- “The future will be marked by the result of combining the flow of accumulated experience with the youth of those who, day by day, join the Group, and these ingredients are going to make it possible for us to continue to this great project forward with the confidence of the first day.”
- “The problem of succession in businesses anywhere in the world arises from the fact that not all legal heirs are suitable.”
- “We cannot limit ourselves to continuing on the path we have already opened… ”